Sally Field is an American actress known for her roles in classic films and TV shows like Gidget, The Flying Nun, Smokey and the Bandit, Norma Rae, Places in the Heart, Forrest Gump, and Brothers & Sisters. With a career spanning over 5 decades, Field has become one of the most beloved and decorated actresses in Hollywood. Her estimated net worth is $55 million.
Early Life and Career Beginnings
Sally Margaret Field was born on November 6, 1946 in Pasadena, California. She began her acting career in the 1960s, landing her first major role as the title character in sitcom Gidget in 1965. This opened doors for Field to star as Sister Bertrille in The Flying Nun from 1967 to 1970.
In the 1970s, Field transitioned into feature films, gaining critical acclaim for lead roles in Smokey and the Bandit with Burt Reynolds and Norma Rae, for which she won her first Academy Award for Best Actress.
Film Career Highlights
Some of Sally Field’s most noteworthy films include:
- Smokey and the Bandit (1977) – This blockbuster cemented Field’s status as a movie star opposite Burt Reynolds. She played Runaway Bride Carrie.
- Norma Rae (1979) – Field won her first Oscar for playing the title role of a factory worker fighting for unionization rights.
- Places in the Heart (1984) – Field’s second Oscar win came from this drama set in 1930s Texas where she played a widow struggling to keep her home.
- Steel Magnolias (1989) – Field co-starred with Dolly Parton, Shirley MacLaine, Daryl Hannah, Olympia Dukakis, and Julia Roberts.
- Forrest Gump (1994) – As Forrest’s mother Mrs. Gump, Field perfectly embodied the good-hearted Southern mom.
- Lincoln (2012) – Field was nominated for an Oscar for her role as First Lady Mary Todd Lincoln opposite Daniel Day-Lewis.
In addition to films, Sally Field starred in many popular television shows over the years:
- Gidget (1965-1966) – Field’s breakout role as the bubbly surfing teen.
- The Flying Nun (1967-1970) – Field played Elsie Ethrington/Sister Bertrille in this comedy series.
- Sybil (1976) – Field won her first Emmy portraying a woman with multiple personality disorder.
- ER (2000-2006) – She had a recurring role as Dr. Abby Lockhart’s mother on the medical drama.
- Brothers & Sisters (2006-2011) – Field both acted as Nora Walker and served as executive producer on this ensemble family drama. She won an Emmy for Outstanding Lead Actress in 2007 for her role.
Later Career and Activism
Sally Field continues to act in films, TV shows, and theater productions. Some of her more recent roles include playing Aunt May in The Amazing Spider-Man films and First Lady Mary Todd Lincoln in Lincoln.
Off-screen, Field is known for activism and humanitarian work. She has advocated for women’s rights and LGBT equality. In 2015, she was honored with the Actor’s Inspiration Award at the GLSEN Respect Awards.
Personal Life and Age
Born in 1946, Sally Field is currently 76 years old. She has been married twice – first to Steven Craig from 1968 to 1975, and later to film producer Alan Greisman from 1984 to 1993. Field has three sons – Peter, Eli and Samuel.
Despite her Hollywood success, Field has maintained a relatively private personal life over the years. She continues to live and work in Los Angeles.
Sally Field’s Height and Appearance
Sally Field has a petite frame at just 5’2″ tall. With blonde hair and bright blue eyes, she embodied the cute, girl-next-door look early in her career. Now in her 70s, Field looks just as elegant and vibrant.
While fashions have changed over the decades, Field’s bright smile and bubbly charm have remained constant. She maintains a youthful spirit and engaging screen presence.
Net Worth and Career Earnings
With a career spanning over 50 years in the entertainment industry, Sally Field has amassed an impressive estimated net worth of $55 million. While exact salaries over the years are unclear, her iconic roles in massive hit films likely earned Field generous paydays.
Major award wins like two Academy Awards and three Emmy Awards have also boosted Field’s marketability and earnings potential. While now selective with roles, Field’s net worth continues to grow through a mix of acting, producing, and wise investments. Her career has proved lucrative yet also intrinsically rewarding with its remarkable longevity and accolades.
From teen surfing star Gidget to two-time Oscar winner, Sally Field has captivated audiences for generations with her acting talent and lovable charm. Her films and TV shows have become classics, earning Field a place in Hollywood history. With leading roles in everything from comedies to dramas to historical epics, Field’s versatility and magnetism have made her a legendary star. Approaching $60 million net worth, she is one of the most successful actresses of all time.