Snapchat allows you to pin your friends to the top of your best friends list. This pins them in that spot so they don’t move down as you interact with other friends. While pinning friends can be useful, there may come a time when you want to unpin someone. Here’s how to unpin a friend on Snapchat.
Understanding Snapchat’s Best Friends List
Snapchat’s best friends list shows the friends you interact with the most at the top. These friends earn their spot in your best friends list by:
- Sending snaps back and forth frequently
- Chatting often
- Viewing and replying to each other’s stories
Friends move up and down your best friends list based on your interactions over time.
You can pin up to 8 friends to the top spots on your best friends list. Pinned friends won’t move down, regardless of your interactions with other friends.
Why You Might Want to Unpin a Friend
There are a few reasons why you may want to unpin someone on Snapchat:
- The friendship has changed. You no longer interact with that friend as much anymore.
- You want your best friends list to reflect your true interactions. Pinning friends freezes them there even if you interact more with other friends now.
- You had a falling out. Perhaps you are no longer on good terms with that friend and don’t want them pinned anymore.
- The pinning was temporary. You may have pinned someone temporarily for a certain event or circumstance that no longer applies.
Whatever the reason, unpinning the friend will allow your interactions to determine your updated best friends list.
How to Unpin a Friend on Snapchat
- Open Snapchat and go to your profile page.
- Tap on the Settings (gear) icon in the top-right corner.
- Select ‘Best Friends’ from the list.
- Tap ‘See All’ to expand your best friends list if needed.
- Locate the pinned friend you want to unpin.
- Tap the yellow pin icon to the right of their name.
- Confirm you want to unpin the friend by tapping ‘Unpin’ when prompted.
That’s it! The friend will now be unpinned and their position in your best friends list will be determined by your interactions again.
FAQs About Unpinning Friends
Here are some commonly asked questions about unpinning friends on Snapchat:
No, friends are not notified when you unpin them. It is a silent action.
Yes, you can pin and unpin friends as many times as you want.
If you already have 8 friends pinned and pin a new friend, Snapchat will prompt you to unpin an existing pinned friend first.
No, unpinning just allows their position in your list to change when you interact with other friends more. They are still your best friend.
Currently pinning and unpinning is only available in Snapchat’s mobile app, not on the web.
- Pinning friends in Snapchat locks them to the top spots on your best friends list.
- You may want to unpin friends when your interactions change, to reflect your true best friends, or after a falling out.
- Unpin friends from your best friends list via the Settings menu in your Snapchat profile.
- Unpinning removes the lock and lets your natural interactions determine their ranking again.
- Friends are not notified when you unpin them, so it’s a discreet action.
Pinning friends can be fun, but don’t hesitate to unpin them if your friendships change over time. A current best friends list improves your Snapchat experience.