Snapchat is one of the most popular social media apps, allowing users to send photo and video messages that disappear after being viewed. With its fun filters and video chat capabilities, Snapchat offers an engaging way to connect with friends and family.
One of Snapchat’s newer features that users are loving is dark mode. Dark mode displays content with a black background and white text, creating less strain on the eyes in low light environments. The dark theme also helps conserve battery life on devices with OLED displays.
If you want to enable dark mode on Snapchat to enjoy its benefits, here is a step-by-step guide on how to do it.
Enabling System-Wide Dark Mode on Your Device
The easiest way to switch Snapchat to dark mode is to enable system-wide dark mode on your iOS or Android device first.
To enable dark mode on iOS:
- Open Settings on your iPhone.
- Tap Display & Brightness.
- Under Appearance, select Dark to turn on the system-wide dark theme.
Once you have dark mode enabled at the iOS level, open Snapchat and it will now display in dark mode automatically.
To enable dark theme on Android:
- Open Settings on your Android device.
- Tap Display.
- Select Dark theme to enable it.
Like on iOS, once system-wide dark mode is on, Snapchat will shift to dark mode as well.
Turning on Dark Mode in Snapchat Settings
Alternatively, you can go directly into Snapchat’s settings to turn on dark mode if you don’t want to change your overall system theme.
To enable dark mode within the Snapchat app:
- Open Snapchat and tap your profile icon in the top left corner.
- Go to Settings in the menu.
- Tap App Appearance.
- Select Dark under Theme to switch from the default light theme.
Snapchat will now display in dark mode, while keeping your overall device theme unchanged.
Customizing Dark Mode in Snapchat
Once you have dark mode turned on in Snapchat, you have a couple options to customize it to your liking.
Adjusting Theme Darkness
Snapchat allows you to adjust the darkness of dark mode for a look that suits you. Here’s how:
- Go to Settings > App Appearance as explained above.
- Under Dark theme, move the Darkness slider left or right.
- Sliding it right makes the dark theme blacker.
- Sliding it left makes it gradually grayer.
- Select the darkness you prefer.
You can also change the font while using dark mode to make conversation text easier to read:
- Go to Settings > App Appearance.
- Tap Dark under Theme.
- Select Classic Font to switch from the default modern font.
The classic font tends to be clearer to read for some users against the black background.
And that’s it! With dark mode enabled, you can now enjoy Snapchat with less glare and strain on your eyes. Snapchat’s dark theme makes the app easier to use at night or in darker environments.
Troubleshooting Dark Mode Issues
If you are having trouble getting dark mode to turn on in Snapchat, here are some things to check:
- Make sure dark mode is enabled at the system level on your device if trying to use system-wide settings to change Snapchat’s theme.
- Confirm you updated Snapchat to the latest version, as older versions may not support dark mode.
- Force close and restart the Snapchat app if it is stuck in light mode after you enabled dark theme in the settings.
- Check that your device is compatible with displaying dark mode on apps. Most newer phones support the feature.
- Contact Snapchat support if you are still unable to activate dark mode through any method.
Switching Snapchat to dark mode is simple and provides a great viewing experience. Enable it at the system level or directly through Snapchat’s settings depending on your preferences. Customize it further by adjusting theme darkness and switching fonts if needed. Now you can enjoy using Snapchat while preventing eye strain, particularly at night. The dark theme helps make conversations and Stories easier to view against the black background.