The first skin care cosmetics were rather straightforward. For instance, ancient Egyptians utilised olive oil, herbs, and eggs to moisturise the skin and give it a healthy appearance. Since then, the skin care industry has undergone an incredible evolution, and modern innovative technologies have further accelerated its development.
Today, proper skin care using specialised products is an integral part of life for a vast number of people in various corners of the world. Unfortunately, preserving the youth and beauty of the skin is becoming increasingly challenging: age-related changes in the body, environmental pollution, unbalanced nutrition, chronic illnesses, weakened immunity – all of these negatively impact a person’s outward appearance. Hence, the interest in such skin care products steadily grows.
However, customers’ demands for the product are also on the rise. In the face of stiff competition, skin care cosmetics manufacturers need to exert maximum effort to avoid getting lost among the myriad of other products in this niche. Customers pay attention to the tiniest details: product packaging, the raw materials used and their origins, ingredient quality, environmental friendliness, and the availability of a wide range of solutions for specific skin problems.
Therefore, if you plan to engage in skin care cosmetics manufacturing, you will need to pay attention to numerous details, without which the product’s success is practically impossible. In this material, you will learn more about the marketing concept, the production process, packaging development, and other nuances related to creating high-quality skin care products.
Marketing Concept in the Skin Care Cosmetics Industry
You can create a very effective, high-quality, and unique skin care product. However, if consumers are not aware of your product, consider all your efforts wasted. Therefore, working on a marketing concept is one of the very first and most important steps in creating not only a high-quality but also a successful cosmetic product. Your marketing concept should take into account several factors.
Market Research. Be sure to conduct detailed research in the skin care industry. It is essential to consider the market orientation principle, as the main condition for creating any product is the presence of consumer demand. Learn as much as possible about trends in this industry, competitors and their advantages, average product prices, popular types of cosmetics, and their ingredients.
Characteristics of the Target Audience. Determine in advance for whom you are developing your product. Create a portrait of your target consumer and gather as many details as possible about them: age, gender, marital status, income level, sociocultural characteristics of the region they live in, their desires, needs, fears, and problems that you can help solve.
Unique Selling Proposition (USP). To stand out among other brands, you need to formulate your USP. This is your competitive advantage that will qualitatively distinguish you from other manufacturers. For example, you can highlight a unique ingredient, develop distinctive branding, use advanced technology, or emphasise the eco-friendliness of your cosmetic product.
Branding. Pay special attention to branding, the development of a corporate style, product naming, and packaging design. Keep in mind that the product’s appearance should meet the demands and expectations of the target audience while being unique enough to make the buyer choose your product.
Implementation Strategy. Where you sell your product also plays a crucial role in the marketing strategy. For example, professional and premium skin care products are better sold in specialised stores and spa salons, while products in the mid-price range can be successfully marketed through mass-market channels.
Communication Channels. Even at the initial stages of creating skin care products, it is essential to choose effective and relevant communication channels through which you will promote your product. Depending on the target audience and product characteristics, you can use social media, television or in-store advertising, email marketing, SEO, and other promotion methods.
The Process of Creating Skin Care Products
In recent decades, the skin care cosmetics manufacturing industry has made significant strides forward. Numerous research efforts, scientific discoveries, and innovative technologies have greatly improved product quality, ensured their safety, and identified highly effective components even for the most specific customer needs.
While in the past, skin care products were primarily made from plant extracts, oils, and similar ingredients, modern scientific advancements enable the extraction of pure vitamins, minerals, amino acids, and micro- and macro-elements with high efficiency and concentrated benefits for skin health.
Here are a few examples of ingredients commonly used in skin care cosmetics manufacturing today:
- Retinol is one of the most popular trends in the cosmetics industry. However, it is not recommended for sensitive skin types, as it can cause irritation. To mitigate its effects, retinol is often encapsulated, which enhances its bioavailability and effectiveness. This component promotes skin rejuvenation, exfoliates the outer layer of the epidermis, renews skin cells, and maintains skin’s moisture balance.
- Hyaluronic Acid is naturally present in our bodies, but sometimes insufficient for maintaining skin health and beauty. In cosmetics, hyaluronic acid is used to moisturise the skin and improve its elasticity. It can be applied topically or through subcutaneous injections. It is also crucial in creating a skin barrier that protects epidermal cells from moisture loss and environmental stress.
- Vitamin C possesses powerful antioxidant properties, enhances natural collagen synthesis, plays a vital role in the synthesis of epidermal lipids, shields the skin from oxidative stress, UV radiation, and premature ageing. It is also added to cosmetics to combat skin hyperpigmentation.
- Salicylic Acid is a desmolytic agent that helps eliminate hyperkeratosis, which can manifest as “goosebumps,” psoriatic symptoms, seborrheic dermatitis, acne, and dandruff. It has anti-inflammatory properties, regulates skin oiliness, and contributes to pore tightening.
- Niacinamide aids in maintaining the skin’s natural barrier, normalising lipid synthesis, preventing moisture loss, reducing inflammation, promoting collagen production, and achieving an even skin tone.
- Ceramides are essential for a healthy skin barrier function, they increase the epidermis’ resistance to external aggressors and pathogenic microflora while helping maintain cellular hydration.
- AHA (Alpha Hydroxy Acids) promote collagen and hyaluronic acid production within the body. In skin care cosmetics manufacturing, the most commonly used AHA acids are lactic, glycolic, and tartaric. They accelerate the shedding of dead epidermal cells and facilitate their renewal, helping to achieve a more even skin tone and a healthy glow.
- Cannabidiol (CBD) is an extract from cannabis, possesses anti-inflammatory properties and aids in treating dermatitis, acne, and eczema. Ingredients containing CBD, such as hemp oil, effectively soften and moisturise the skin.
Packaging: Enhancing Attractiveness and Functionality
For the commercial success of a cosmetic product, its packaging plays one of the most crucial roles. The reason behind this lies in the fact that several significant factors depend on it: the attractiveness of the product, its functionality, ease of use, and protection of the cosmetic from the influence of the external environment.
In doing so, you should pay attention to the shape and material of the packaging, which should take into account the specificities of the product’s use. For example, glass bottles are well-suited for storing serums with amino acids, while it is more convenient to use a pump dispenser on a bottle for cleansing gel. Apart from these types of packaging, you can also choose from:
- Spray bottles,
- Blister packs.
The type of packaging often determines the functionality of the product. This is important for dosing the applied substance, the hygiene of cosmetic use, extending the product’s shelf life, and maintaining its stability.
Of course, the packaging’s design also plays a crucial role. It is best to entrust the design development to professionals: they will assist in creating a unique brand style, choosing an appropriate colour palette, selecting fonts, and harmoniously arranging visual elements. Moreover, the packaging design should align with the brand’s positioning, values, and the preferences of the target audience.
Keep in mind that special attention should be given to labelling. In different countries, labelling rules may vary, but often, packaging must include the following information:
- Brand name,
- List of ingredients,
- Directions for use,
- Manufacturer’s details,
- Expiry date,
- Traceability information,
- Quality and safety certificates.
When choosing packaging for your cosmetic product, pay attention to market trends and industry prevailing trends. For example, in skin care cosmetics manufacturing, there is often a focus on eco-friendly packaging, favouring simplicity and minimalism. Transparent inserts in packaging are also trending, allowing consumers to see the product’s contents, which helps build trust in the brand.
Choosing the Best Cosmetic Manufacturer
Starting your own manufacturing from scratch is a complex, time-consuming, multi-stage, and costly process. Therefore, many entrepreneurs aspiring to enter the cosmetics business turn to contract manufacturers for assistance. This allows them to delegate skin care cosmetics manufacturing to a reliable partner who will produce the product under their own brand.
However, choosing the best cosmetic manufacturer can be challenging, as the quality and commercial success of your future product often depend on it. Therefore, you need to conduct some research and compare several manufacturers based on key parameters.
- Reputation of the manufacturer: Gather as much information as possible about the manufacturer, find reviews from customers who have already used the company’s services, and assess the manufacturer’s experience and expertise. This will help gauge the potential partner’s reputation.
- Production capabilities: Ensure that the private label manufacturer has all the necessary conditions for producing the cosmetic product according to your specifications. Pay attention to the modernity of the equipment used by the partner and the technological processes required for manufacturing your product.
- Quality and safety control: This is a crucial aspect that will impact your future reputation. Ask the manufacturer about their quality and safety control practices in production. It is a plus if the contract manufacturing facility has its own laboratory for sample testing and microbiological research.
- Documentation availability: Request the key documentation confirming the partner’s right to engage in skin care cosmetics manufacturing. This should include registration, licensing, quality certificates, safety compliance directives in production, and laboratory test reports. These documents will help you ensure the partner’s reliability.
- Customer support: Choose a manufacturer that provides high-quality and stable customer support, is flexible, listens to your requests, and has opportunities for future production scaling and expanding your cosmetic product range.
Skin care cosmetics manufacturing is a multi-stage and rather complex process that requires attention to numerous details. To create a high-quality, safe, effective, and popular product among consumers, you need to conduct research, develop an effective marketing strategy, design attractive and functional packaging, and select the best ingredients.
If you do not have your own manufacturing facilities, you can opt for a contract manufacturer. To find a reliable partner, pay attention to the company’s reputation, availability of necessary documentation, quality and safety control systems, and customer support. By dedicating sufficient attention to each production stage, you can create a commercially successful product and dynamically develop your business in the future.