Bryan Brown is an acclaimed Australian actor known for his work in films and TV shows since the 1970s. Some of his most famous roles include The Thorn Birds, Cocktail, Gorillas in the Mist, Breaker Morant, and more recently Godfather of Harlem. With a career spanning over 5 decades, Bryan Brown has established himself as one of Australia’s most successful actors.
Bryan Brown’s Net Worth
According to various reports, Bryan Brown’s net worth is estimated to be around $16 million as of 2023. The majority of his wealth has come from his extensive acting work in films and television. Some of his most financially successful films include Cocktail, Gorillas in the Mist, Along Came Polly and Australia. He has also earned considerable income from his work in TV shows like Breaking Bad and Godfather of Harlem. In addition to acting, Bryan has invested in real estate and owns properties around the world.
Early Life and Education
Bryan Neathaway Brown was born on 23 June 1947 in Sydney, Australia. His father was a real estate agent and his mother was a piano teacher. Brown grew up in the suburbs of Sydney along with his younger sister, Kristine.
For his education, Brown attended Parramatta Marist High School. He was an excellent rugby player in school but an injury ended his sporting career prospects. Brown went on to study at the National Institute of Dramatic Art, graduating in 1967.
Early Work in Australia
After completing his training at NIDA, Bryan Brown started out acting in Australian theatre productions and TV shows. His first major role came in 1977 with the drama film The Love Letters from Teralba Road. In the subsequent years, he acted in several critically acclaimed movies like Newsfront, Winter of Our Dreams and Breaker Morant.
Brown first caught international attention with his role in the 1983 miniseries The Thorn Birds alongside Richard Chamberlain. His portrayal of rugged ranch hand Luke O’Neill earned him a Golden Globe nomination.
Bryan Brown made his Hollywood debut in 1985 with A Man Called Horse. However, it was his role as bartender Doug Coughlin in the 1988 romantic drama Cocktail that made him a star in America. The film was a huge commercial success, grossing over $170 million worldwide.
His other major Hollywood films during the late 80s and 90s include F/X, Tai-Pan, Gorillas in the Mist, Sweet Talker, Blood Oath, Along Came Polly and more. Brown co-starred with some of the biggest names of the time like Tom Cruise, Rachel Ward, Sigourney Weaver and Jennifer Aniston.
In the 2000s, Bryan Brown continued acting in American and Australian productions. Some of his notable credits include Two Hands, Dirty Deeds, Australia, Kill Me Three Times and more.
On American television, Brown played major recurring roles in acclaimed shows like Lost and Breaking Bad. In 2020, he appeared as Italian mob boss Frank Costello in the Epix series Godfather of Harlem starring Forest Whitaker.
As of 2023, the veteran actor remains actively involved in films and TV shows, proving his enduring talent and popularity after over 4 decades in the business.
Bryan Brown married Australian actress Rachel Ward in 1983 after meeting her on the set of The Thorn Birds. They have three children – Rosie, Matilda and Joe Brown, who is also an actor.
The family divided their time in the 80s and 90s between homes in Sydney and Los Angeles. These days they are based primarily in Sydney.
Outside of acting, Brown has interests in rowing and rugby. He is also known for his extensive philanthropic work over the years.
Awards and Accolades
With his immense contribution to Australian and international cinema, Bryan Brown has received numerous honors and awards:
- Logie Award for Best Actor for Breaker Morant (1980)
- AFI Award for Best Actor for Breaker Morant, Give My Regards to Broad Street (1984)
- Film Critics Circle of Australia Award for Two Hands (1999)
- Australian Film Institute Longford Life Achievement Award (2005)
- Order of Australia Medal (1989)
- Walk of Fame Star at The Boulevard, Australia (2005)
- Australian Academy of Cinema and Television Arts Award (2015)
Key Takeaways on Bryan Brown
- Bryan Brown is a veteran Australian actor renowned for his work since the 1970s
- His net worth is estimated to be around $16 million as of 2023
- He is best known for films like The Thorn Birds, Cocktail, Gorillas in the Mist and Breaker Morant
- Other major credits include shows like Lost, Breaking Bad and Godfather of Harlem
- Married to actress Rachel Ward since 1983, he has 3 children
- Brown has received many top honors including a Logie, AFI Awards, Order of Australia Medal and more
- Now in his mid-70s, he remains actively involved in acting projects after 50+ years in the business